recipe provided courtesy of Learn + Live Member Olesia Nikitina
Perepechi is a traditional Russian pie originating from the region of Udmurtia. These open pie shells have pinched edges and are filled with various ingredients. The pies are baked in the oven, and, if properly prepared, the crust should be soft and slightly crispy while the filling should always be rich and tender. The name perepechi means “something baked behind the oven,” because they were initially baked in stoves over a low fire. Try this perepechi recipe to make your own traditional Russian dish!
To make the dough:
- 1 egg
- ½ cup full fat sour cream
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 2 pinches of salt
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- Mix softened butter, egg, and sour cream in a bowl until smooth.
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Season with salt.
- Add dry ingredients to butter/egg mixture. Knead until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Set dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow dough to rest for 20-30 minutes.
To make the filling:
- 8 oz of cremini and 8 oz of chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped (or you can use any mushroom your child will enjoy—feel free to add fewer or no mushrooms if you think your child will enjoy this recipe more without them. You can also substitute mushrooms with ground meat.)
- 1 small onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- ¼ cup sour cream
- salt and pepper
- Heat pan and add butter until melted. Add onions and cook until translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until soft. Add thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before adding sour cream.
To make the egg mixture:
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 2 pinches of salt
- Using a whisk, mix all ingredients together and set aside.
Putting it all together:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Roll out dough into a floured surface. Form the dough into a long sausage roll and cut into discs about 2 inches wide.
Press and roll out each disc until flat and round, and then pinch up the sides to create dough cups.
Recipe will make about 20 cups.
Place each dough cup on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper.
Add about 2 tablespoons of mushroom (or meat) filling into each cup.
Add about ¼ cup of egg mixture on top of each mixture. Do not allow it to spill out.
Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the dough is browned and the egg is firm. Remove from heat as soon as they are ready so they do not dry out.
Enjoy! We would love to see your results. Please tag us @learnandliveletter if you make and post this recipe!