One way homeschool is just like traditional school? It’s always a good idea to stock up on some new school supplies at the beginning of the year. Your homeschool supply will likely grow and change over time, but these 20 tried-and-true classics will always have a place at your child’s work table.
1. laminator + laminating sheets – Trust us when we tell you that this will become your home’s most essential appliance. Laminators let you preserve everything from art work to worksheets, meaning you won’t have to keep printing new copies every time you want to repeat a lesson.
2. printer + paper – If you don’t already own a printer, now is the time to get one. (Don’t worry, they’re less expensive than you might think.) After all, all those templates and letter sheets have to come from somewhere.
3. small chalkboard + dry erase board – A chalkboard + dry erase combo is perfect for letting your child practice handwriting, demonstrating shapes, and so much more. (Go ahead, write your name at the top on the first day like your teacher used to. You’ve earned it!)
4. construction paper (assorted colors) – From art projects to math activities, you’ll never run out of uses for construction paper.
5. cardstock (assorted colors) – Perfect for when you need a bit more heft than construction paper, like making your own postcards, tangrams, and more.
9. scissors + child scissors (we also love these for lefties!) – You’ll use these to cut up printable projects, and we love the child sized for helping your little one develop their fine motor skills.
13. wooden beads – Beads are a great option to use as counters when you’re teaching basic math concepts.
15. masking tape
16. yarn – From lacing to necklace-making to hanging projects, you’ll be surprised how often you reach for yarn.
18. glue (liquid + stick)
19. play dough
20. food coloring – Even if you don’t like to cook with it, food coloring comes up often in homeschool science projects and art studies. Keep this set on hand, and you’ll be ready for anything.
***Post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through a link, we may receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting our small business!***